Manchester United have been linked to a possible move for Sporting’s Argentinian defender Marcos Rojo after Portuguese news source O Jogo reported that the Old Trafford club had made a €20 million (£16 million) bid for the player. Sky Sports News have also backed up reports suggesting that the Argentinian defender has handed in a transfer request and advised his club he wants to move to Old Trafford this summer. Rojo was utilised by Argentina in the FIFA World Cup in Brazil this summer, helping his country reach the final, only to be beaten by Germany. The 24-year-old had a decent tournament, which has meant that he has had many clubs looking to secure him this summer. Southampton are one club interested in the player and reports suggested that they did place a £13 million last week, which was turned down by the Portuguese club.
Rojo, meaning Red in Spanish, would be a player that could come in and do a job with the club. United do need defensive reinforcements and the fact that the Argentinian can be a utilitarian, much like John O’Shea as he can play at left-back and as a central defender, which would effectively kill two birds with one stone for United as they are left needing cover for Luke Shaw and additional players in the centre of defence. United have been linked with Thomas Vermaelen, who signed for Barcelona at the weekend and Mats Hummels, who has recently been made the Borussia Dortmund captain, which will keep him with the German club this coming season, another blow for United as they look to add experience to the defence after Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra all left the club this summer.
United’s reported bid for Rojo would see Sporting being paid £9.5 million in advance with a further £6.5 million being paid in a series of instalments. The Portuguese club are thought to be unhappy with this as they would rather the full fee be paid in advance as they only own 25% of the rights to the player, with the remaining 75% owned by investment group Doyen Sports. United would be silly to walk away from a deal because of a disagreement over the payment structure. Currently there are around 21 days left in this summers transfer window, which does not give the club time to be stubborn over prospective deals.
Executive vice chairman Ed Woodward has stated that the club have the money to spend, and that they are able to compete with other clubs by spending large fees on players. Southampton could resurrect their interest in the player and if they did and paid the fee up front, rather than an initial payment followed by instalments, executive at United would be rather red-faced and fans will continue to blame Ed Woodward for the failure.
The thing is, £16 million is not a lot of money compared to the fees that have been paid out this summer. £75 million for Luis Suarez when he transferred from Liverpool to Barcelona, £63.5 million for James Rodriguez after he over from AS Monaco to Real Madrid and a reported £55 million asking price for Angel di Maria, should he end up moving to Manchester United or Paris Saint-Germain this summer. £16 million is nothing compared to those fees, so in order for United to walk away empty-handed, they should maybe stump up the required amount of cash to secure the signing of a defender, which would do a lot to quell the fears of the supporters who are starting to get annoyed with the lack of activity after being promised by Woodward himself to “watch this space”, which I must add was nearly four weeks ago now.
I am sure Marcos Rojo will not be the player that many of the clubs supporters will want, as the players linked at the start of the summer were the big names that football supporters seem to think are much better than the lesser known players. I seem to remember a few occasions where a lesser known player was signed by the club and ended up doing a great job. Think Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Cristiano Ronaldo, Eric Cantona, Patrice Evra and Nemanja Vidic. All five of those players did just fine. After all it is not the player that makes Manchester United. It is Manchester United that makes the player…