Report: Manchester United draw 0-0 away to Everton in the Premier League 2


Manchester United draw 0-0 with Everton in the Premier League 2 at the MerseyRail Community Stadium on Monday evening. Callum Gribbin was the closest player to find the back of the net in the draw, which will be seen as a positive result on the road. United play Celtic in the Premier League International Cup on Saturday, a break from the Premier League 2 until Monday 11th December when they face Swansea City away.

Ricky Sbragia named a strong enough side to take on Everton in the Premier League 2 this evening. James Wilson led the line, Man of the Match against City, Tosin Kehinde kept his place with United seeking a return to winning ways in the league, aiming to distance themselves from the bottom half of the table, sitting tenth in the league with nine points ahead of kick off.

United did not start the match in the best of ways with Everton having chances through Bassala Sambou in the fourth and seventh minutes with Kieran O’Hara making the save for the first and the Everton player shooting over the target in the second attempt. In the twelfth minute, United had a free-kick close to the edge of the box with Joe Riley looping his effort into the box and United trying to prevail through Ethan Hamilton, failing to cause any damage to the Everton defence.

The resulting corner was dealt with effectively by the home side also, resulting in a goal kick which started the game again. In the 16th minute of the match, Charlie Scott was booked for a challenge, which pushed Everton forward with James Wilson winning the ball and pushing forward to break for United, which resulted in Everton winning the ball again.

In the 18th minute, Luca Ercolani was winded by a challenge and needed a minute for some treatment before coming back on. It was still 0-0 with Everton having the chances, United playing well so far, aiming to get themselves into the game with a goal. Two minutes later, Everton had a shot on goal through Josh Bowler from outside of the box, but O’Hara made the save.

Ro-Shaun Williams was replaced by Tyrell Warren in the 23rd minute due to injury, which was unfortunate for United. United and Everton were both playing end to end football after the substitution, both teams looking to take the lead in the match, which was not coming from anywhere. In the 40th minute, Bowler had another attempt, sending his shot over the crossbar.

United had a chance a minute later after some good play on the attack. Wilson had the resulting shot, which rattled the side netting. There were two minutes of added time at the end of the first half, ending 0-0 with United needing to do a lot to get one over this Everton side, who had been playing well and had all of the chances, Sambou the play of the first half.

Neither side made a change during the break, United’s substitution the only one in the match so far. It was Bowler who had the first chance of the second half with a good run on the ball, beating his man with his chance on goal bounding past the post. United won a free-kick through Kehinde in the 51st minute of the match, Wilson was lurking but nothing came of the attack as Ethan Hamilton lashed wide.

Everton made their first change in the 57th minute of the match with Fraser Hornby replacing Bowler. United made their second change with Callum Gribbin replacing Zak Dearnley in the 63rd minute with United seeking some impressive play to take command of this fixture, with all to take from the game at this stage. United won a free-kick in the 64th minute after a challenge on Demetri Mitchell.

United won a corner in the 67th minute after a good drive forward. Gribbin took the corner but it was too close to the near post and Everton regained possession and broke forward, sending the ball out of play for a United throw-in inside their own half. Everton were not the same side after Bowler was replaced, which was a good sign for United, their chance to take charge of the fixture.

Everton made their second change in the 74th minute with Nathan Broadhead replacing Sambou, who was not happy to be taken off with the game still not having a clear winner. In the 75th minute, with Everton on the attack, Warren made a great stop to deny the home side from taking the lead. In the 79th minute, after a positive attack from United through Riley and Hamilton, the latter had a shot on goal, the Everton goalkeeper making the save.

Everton made their final change in the 80th minute with Harry Charsley replacing Antony Evans. After the change, United were on the attack through Gribbin, who unleashed his effort, which was curling, into the middle of the goal, the effort was denied by the goalkeeper with United winning a corner, which came to nothing. Moments later, Gribbin was attacking again, with the help of Wilson and Kehinde, an attack which came to nothing.

With less than five minutes of normal time remaining, Everton had a good attack which resulted in a pinball with them trying to scramble a goal, United eventually clearing the ball. Everton had another chance in the 89th minute, which would have seen O’Hara stranded, but it missed the target, luckily for United.

Three minutes were added to the end of the match, in the first minute, United had a chance through Wilson, who broke forward but could not get the better of Everton to find the back of the net. Everton then broke forward with Kehinde back defending, making the clearance meaning Everton had to start their attack again. With 90 seconds to go, Everton nearly scored, the shot just wide of the target.

The match ended 0-0, a good point on the road, but things need to change if United are to turn their fortunes at this level. United play in the Premier League International Cup against Celtic on Saturday, giving them a rest from league action, but three matches undefeated will be seen as a bonus with United heading in the right direction.

Manchester United: O’Hara; Riley, Ercolani, Williams (Warren 23′), Mitchell; Sang, Scott; Dearnley (Gribbin 63′), Hamilton, Kehinde; Wilson

Substitutes Not Used: Richardson, Boonen, Bohui

Other news you may also like

19 July 2017

Manchester United -v- Manchester City NRG Stadium, Houston, Texas, United States of America Thursday 20th July 2017; KO 21:00 local time – 03:00 in the United Kin… Read more

14 December 2016

Manchester United face Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park in the Premier League this evening. United got back to winning ways in the league on Sunday at Old Trafford, beat… Read more

14 April 2018

Manchester United U18’s could clinch the U18 Premier League North today if they beat or even draw against Manchester City at the Leigh Sports Village. The match … Read more

11 March 2017

Manchester United will go head to head with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Monday evening in the Emirates FA Cup in order to propel themselves into the semi-final of the… Read more

copyright: JW

%d bloggers like this: