Manchester United seem to have been thrown yet another transfer warning regarding Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund days after the deadline to sign the player for €120 million expired. On Monday, Sancho headed to Switzerland with his teammates for their pre-season training camp and the club had previously said that if the player went with the club, he would be kept for the 2020/21 season. It would seem that the Bundesliga selling club will stick to their guns, or will they?
United seem to have spent a lot of time chasing Sancho in 2020 making the player the clubs number one target of the summer. However, after missing the 10 August deadline, it could well be an uphill task to get a deal done with Dortmund adamant that they will be keeping the player, even if they did say that they planned to keep the player for the 2020/21 season. Dortmund legend Sebastian Kehl, who now works for the club spoke to German magazine Kicker, which was reported by The Sun, saying:
“It was important to clarify this subject. Of course, we are aware of Jadon’s appeal [in the market] but we also know how important he is for our team.
“He is a player who can make the difference in every game. He had an outstanding past year with 17 goals and 17 assists [in the Bundesliga].
“He gives the team something extra and we are very happy that he is staying, as his team-mates have already stated in recent days.”
It would seem that United have made things difficult this summer and may have to look elsewhere for a player like Sancho, which is probably not going to happen. However, in another report by The Sun, it has been stated that United have put all other summer transfer business on hold as they aim to sign Sancho. But with all due respect, they were given a timeline to sign the player and never met it, seemingly briefing the media that they intended to try and sign the player for less money later in the window.
It is suggested in the report that the first contract offer for Sancho would have seen him take a pay cut, which is not what some newspapers reported with the player said to have been offered up to £340,000 per week at United, which seems hard to believe. The 20-year-old continue to be linked to the Old Trafford club, despite Dortmund’s stance on the matter. Whether the club means they will retain him this summer or not is yet to be found out. It is possible that the player hands in a transfer request but that would see him leave the club in a similar situation as Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, which might not be wanted.
It has been suggested by The Mirror that United want to sign Sancho so badly that they could decide to forgo all other transfer targets this summer to get him, which would not be ideal with the depth of the squad not looking all that good in terms of quality. How could a club like United have so little money to bring in new players when they have ben earning massive amount of money for decades. The answer to that question is the Glazers. Granted, they have made money available in the past for it to be wasted, and spending a little bit more this summer, to sign Sancho would see them heading in the right direction. The club needs to sort themselves out, they are knows an penny pinchers and that needs to stop.
Written by John Walker